If you like movies that elegantly walk the fine line between uplifting comedy and sad drama, Celeste & Jesse forever is the perfect pick for you: it’s a convincing portrayal of two high school sweethearts who, despite loving each other to bits, can’t seem to make their relationship work…
Celeste & Jesse forever (2012): Directed by Lee Toland Krieger; 92mins; starring Rashida Jones (Parks & Recreation), Andy Samberg (of SNL and The Lonely Island, a.k.a the trio that gave the world “I just had sex”), Eric Christian Olsen (NCIS, The Last Kiss), Emma Roberts (Scream Queens, American Horror Story, Palo Alto), Elijah Wood (a.k.a Mr Frodo, a.k.a the last guy you should send out to return jewellery)
What’s it about? Celeste and Jesse have been best friends and sweethearts forever. Now they’re getting divorced, but they still live next door to each other and hang out every day – but don’t worry, it’s not weird at all.
What’s it really about? The complete and utter heartbreak of falling out of love with the person you love more than anyone in the entire world.
- You like movies that walk the fine line between uplifting comedy and sad drama
- You’ve recently broken up with someone and your heart needs mending: this film is the perfect pick for curling up on your sofa with your best friend and crying in her lap / have him pat you on the back like a true bro
- You’ve ever had a complicated relationship with an ex
- You’re in the mood for pondering questions about love, friendship and soulmates
- You’ve ever been in a “It should have been me” kind of situation
- You adore Emma Roberts’ bratty bitch characters such as Chanel Oberlin in Scream Queens, Madison in American Horror Story and Poppy Moore – pre-hair dye -in Wild Child
Most memorable quote: “Do you know what your problem is? Contempt prior to investigation. You think you’re better than everyone” – Riley Banks
Most memorable scene: Devastated by the news of Jesse becoming a father, Celeste re-evaluats her feelings for her ex which leads to the two of them getting into an argument in the street:
Jesse: “I need to figure out a way to make it work with Veronica, okay? I’m trying to change”
Celeste: “Why couldn’t you change for me?”
Jesse: “I don’t think you really wanted me to”
Celeste: “WOW! Wow. All I did was wait for you to grow up. I rooted for you. I fucking paid for everything. I did EVERYthing for you.”
Jesse: “Yeah, and I was never your equal. And you know what, I think you preferred it that way”
Truthfully, if this scene doesn’t break your heart, it’s quite possible you may be a sociopath.
Where can I watch? Celeste & Jesse forever is available for streaming on Netflix UK, Germany, Canada and Austria as well as Maxdome, iTunes and Amazon.