The Hunger Games meets Harry Potter: Buckle up for yet another story about a teenage heroine who challenges an injust system by refusing to conform to their rules of sorting people into set categories. Only instead of deer-stalking, this one does tons of fun activities like parcour and bouldering in her free-time…
Divergent is based on the book series by Veronica Roth, a woman who, as Screen Junkies so aptly put it in their hilarious Honest Trailer for Divergent, “read The Hunger Games and said to herself ‘I can change that slightly and make a ton of money'”.
What’s it about? In a world that divides people into factions based on virtues, a young woman (Shailene Woodley) goes against her family tradition by leaving her Amish-ish life in Abnegation behind to join the daredevils of Dauntless. But when Tris learns that she fits into more than one category (making her a divergent) she becomes threat to the entire system.
What’s it really about? People are more than just one thing.
- You miss The Hunger Games so damn much
- You’re a fan of YA adaptations such as THG, The Maze Runner, or The Giver
- You’re a fan of Sci-Fi dystopias like 1984, Equilibrium, The Matrix, or Brave New World
- You’re in the mood for an action driven sci-fi movie that’s targeted towards teens and tweens
- You’re looking for something to watch on a date: like Katniss, Tris is the kind of badass female heroine men and women can both rally behind. Plus, the stunts are pretty wicked
- You’re intrigued by people who like to live on the edge: doing parcour, bouldering an out of service ferris wheel, and zip-lining between abandoned buildings are just some of the awesome things the Dauntless get up to. They’re essentially the YA dystopia equivalent of the cool high school clique you secretly wanted to be a part of but never dared to join. I have a feeling that the look on Tris’ face when she first sees the Dauntless arrive at the choosing ceremony – by jumping out of a moving train – is the same look I had on my face when the local breakdance squad showed up at my first high school event. Damn those guys had swagger
- You’re curious to see everybody’s darling Kate Winslet play a baddie: she portrays Janine, the power-hungry leader of the Erudite faction
- You appreciate great casting: Shailene Woodley, Theo James, Zoe Kravitz, Ansel Elgort, Miles Teller, Jai Courtney, Maggie Q, Mekhi Pfifer, Ashley Judd, Kate Winslet all give stellar performances in this movie and have great chemistry
Most memorable quote: “I don’t want to be just one thing. I can’t be. I want to be brave, and I want to be selfless, intelligent, and honest and kind.” – Four
Most memorable scene: Tris comes to a fellow Dauntless trainee’s defense and is punished by being picked as a target for a knife throwing demonstration. Feel the shivers down your spine as Four’s throws land awfully close to Tris’ head…
Where can I watch? Divergent is available for purchase on Amazon Prime and Maxdome as well as for rent on iTunes and Google Play.