Cameron Crowe’s musical coming-of-age story Almost Famous has always held a special place in my heart. Not least because it features one of the best Magic Music Moments in cinematic history…
What’s it about? A fifteen year old is recruited by Rolling Stone magazine to write an exposé about rock band Stillwater. But when he joins the guys on tour, William soon gets caught up in the pretence of Rock’ n’ Roll romance and the hedonistic lifestyle of the rockstars.
What’s it really about? Rock’n’ Roll can save your soul.
- You love Rock ‘n’ Roll music and the romance attached to it
- You want to feel nostalgic about the music of yesteryears, when it was still organic and genuine
- You’re looking for a fun, yet at times melancholic film to watch on your own as you ponder the sobering, sometimes even heartbreaking experience of growing up
- You’ve ever felt torn between your professional ambition and your loyalty towards somebody you close to you, maybe even somebody you look up to
- You’re okay with insincere characters and not knowing how to feel about them: Penny, Russell, all of Stillwater really, are complex characters that aren’t the most likeable. But you’re probably going to see a little something of yourself in them.
Top 3 most memorable quotes:
- “The only currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with others while you’re uncool” – Lester
- “Look under your bed – it will set you free!” – Anita
- “I always tell the girls, never take it seriously. If you never take it seriously, you never get hurt. If you never get hurt, you always have fun. And if you ever get lonely, just go to the record store and visit your friends.” – Penny
Most memorable moment / Magic Music Moment:
The band members have fallen out; the tension on the tour bus is palpable. But then Elton John’s “Tiny Dancer” comes on the radio and one by one the guy and gals fall into song, thereby reconciling, without anyone ever having to say they’re sorry.
Where can I watch? Almost Famous is available for streaming on Maxdome and Netflix Denmark, Finland, Sweden and Norway as well as for rent on iTunes and Amazon.
Almost Famous (2000): Directed by Cameron Crowe; running-time 2h 2mins; starring Billy Crudup (Watchmen), Kate Hudson (How to lose a guy in 10 days), Patrick Fugit (Gone Girl), Zooey Deschanel (New Girl), Philipp Seymour Hoffman (The Boat that Rocked), Frances McDormand (Fargo), Anna Paquin (X-Men).