Who says an action movie has to involve car chases, explosions and shoot-outs? The Step Up films have proven time and again that filmmakers don’t always need to blow their entire budget on post-production to wow a movie theatre. Putting on epic dance routines can have the same effect…
The Step Up series (2006-2014): Starring Channing Tatum (Magic Mike, 21 Jump Street), Jenna Dewan-Tatum (Supergirl), Briana Evigan, Robert Hoffman, Adam G. Sevani, Alison Stoner (Camp Rock), Rick Malambri (The Lying Game), Sharni Wilson, Ryan Guzman (The Boy next Door, Heroes Reborn), Kathryn McCormick.
What’s it about? Dancing.The exact plot of the films doesn’t really matter.
What’s it really about? The Step Up films are about taking chances and not giving up on your dreams, no matter how far out of reach they may seem. The franchise also stresses the importance of harnessing your individuality and uses dancing as a metaphor for life: only if we learn to dance to the beat of our own heart can we become truly great at anything.
- You love dancing (and are looking to add new moves to a routine)
- You used to love dancing and need a reason to get back into it or just want to take a trip down memory lane
- You’re looking for a film to watch with your girlfriends
- You’re looking for a film to watch with your partner: the films in the Step Up series are action-packed (I guarantee that some stunts will make you gasp) and extremely pleasing aesthetically (gorgeous shots of gorgeous people looking fantastic even when they’re dripping with sweat)
- You’re looking for an easy viewing that doesn’t require too much focus
- You’re entertained and impressed by epic dance routines
- You’ve seen “Take the lead”, “Save the last dance” or “Honey” and now you want more
- You like Hip Hop and R ‘n’ B music: The Step Up soundtrack includes Sean Paul’s “Give it up to me”, Flo Rida’s “Low”, Jay-Z’s “Empire State of Mind”, and Tinie Tempah’s “Earthquake”
Most memorable quotes:
“It’s about bringing something new to the floor… and it shouldn’t matter what we wear, what school or what neighborhood were from because the best part of the streets is not about what you got, it’s what you make of what you’ve got!” – Andie
“People dance because dance can change things. One move, can bring people together. One move, can make you believe like there’s something more. One move, can set a whole generation free.” – Moose
Most memorable dance scenes:
1. Streetdance in the rain; Step Up 2 The Streets
Every streetdance enthusiast has copied that puppet-on-a-string move at one point in their life. Myself included.
2. The Restaurant Flash-Mob; Step Up Revolution
Just once I want to dine at a fancy restaurant and have my expensive meal interrupted by flawless dancing right in front of my face.
3. Dance on Water; Step Up 3D
How come they don’t slip and break their necks like any normal person would?
4. LMNTRIX final routine; Step Up All In
HOLY COW! Yes to everything, from the music, to the costumes, the props, the chemistry between Briana and Ryan and of course that jaw-dropping move at the end. I gotta go register at a dance center now, BYEEE…
Where can I watch? Some of the Step Up films are available on YouTube as well as on Netflix and Amazon.