Bigots, cheaters & drunks: If you’ve got a soft spot for dysfunctional families, The Big Wedding is the perfect film for you. After seeing the mess that De Niro, Sarandon, Keaton & Co make, there’s a good chance you’re going to consider eloping…
What’s it about? In order to please the catholic mother of their adopted son (Ben Barnes), a long divorced couple (Diane Keaton, Robert De Niro) must pretend to still be married on the weekend of his wedding.
What’s it really about? Family.
- You’re looking for a fun, lighthearted film to watch with your family: The Big Wedding is about the complicated relationships of a dysfunctional family: father Don cheated on his wife with her best friend, which put a strain on his relationship with daughter Lyla, who leaves her husband right before her brother’s wedding; adopted son Alejandro is getting married to the daughter of a couple of family friends who are as bigoted as they come, and it doesn’t stop there!
- In that respect, the film will appeal to fans of family comedies such as The Family Stone, August Osage County or The Royal Tenenbaums
- You enjoy comedies about weddings such as My Big Fat Greek Wedding, The Wedding Date, and Four Weddings and a Funeral
- You’re a bride to be: this film is the pefect pick for a bubbly (yes I am advocating for alcohol) evening with your girlfriends
- You love ensemble casts: The Big Wedding brings together esteemed actors such as Robert De Niro, Diane Keaton, Susan Sarandon and the late Robin Williams and young talents like Amanda Seyfried and Ben Barnes. They bounce off each other well, creating some really wonderful interactions, particularly between Katherine Heigl and Robert De Niro. Moreover, their chemistry makes it credible that these people could actually be a family
Most memorable scene: As a wedding gift to Alejandro, Don and Ellie give him a box carved from the wood of the oak tree that they planted when they built the house they started their family in. When Alejandro opens the box, he finds a single acorn in it, as a symbol of the life he is about to build with his bride to be.
Most memorable quote:
Ellie: “You were right: there are different kinds of love”
Father Moynaghan: “Which one are you feeling right now?”
Ellie: “All of them”
Where can I watch? The Big Wedding is available on Amazon, Maxdome, iTunes as well as Netflix Netherlands, UK, Ireland and Germany.
The Big Wedding (2013): Directed by Justin Zackham; running-time h 29mins.; starring Robert De Niro (Taxi Driver), Susan Sarandon (Stepmom), Diane Keaton (First Wives Club), Katherine Heigl (27 Dresses), Ben Barnes (The Chronicles of Narnia), Amanda Seyfried (Mamma Mia!), Topher Grace (That 70s Show), Robin Williams (Dead Poets Society).