Romance, Betrayal, Adventure: Disney’s Prince of Persia is the closest thing to a live action remake of Disney’s Aladdin there is. If you’re a fan of Arabian Nights and Jake Gyllenhaal without a shirt on, this film is for you…
What’s it about? A rogue prince (Jake Gyllenhaal) must assist a high priestess (Gemma Arterton) in delivering a mystic dagger that can turn back time before it falls ito the wrong hands.
What’s it really about? Nobility is not a question of birth, but of heart.
- You’re in the mood for an action-packed adventure ride through a mythical, romanticised version of Persia
- You’re a fan of Aladdin (another story about a street rat becoming a noble ruler), or other tales from Arabian Nights
- You want to see a sizzling romance full of witty banter and death-stares
- You don’t mind white washing: Jake Gyllenhaal is clearly white, as is Gemma Arterton, no matter how much tanning lotion you throw at her, so they really should have found some actors of middle-eastern descent to portray the characters instead
- You have a major crush on Jake Gyllenhaal: the Dastan costume is his most attractive look to date
- You have a soft spot for no-nonsense princesses who aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty or kick a guy in the balls: you’re gonna love Tamina!
- You’re a sucker for a tale about the bond between brothers: the relationship between Dastan, Garsiv, and Tus will pull on your heartstrings
- You appreciate subtle allegories about present-day politics: Dastan and his men attack Alamut under the pretense that it has deadly weapons, when they’re actually looking for the dagger – sound familiar?
Most memorable scene: During the attack on Alamut, Dastan stands on a precipice overlooking the city before leaping off the roof in a breathtaking stunt.
Most memorable quotes:
Dastan: Difficult, not impossible.
Tamina: All more proof you’re insane.
Dastan: Then why do you look so impressed?
Tamina: Dastan, where’s the dagger?
Dastan: You’re welcome to search me for it. You’ll have to be very thorough.
Tamina: You have an unfortunate lack of curiosity.
Dastan: No doubt one of my many flaws.
Tamina: Please don’t mock me, Prince.
Dastan: Oh, I hardly think we know each other well enough for that, Princess, but I look forward to the day that we do.
Where can I watch? Prince of Persia is available for rent on Amazon, Maxdome and iTunes.
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010): Based on the video game of the same name; running-time 1h 56mins.; starring Jake Gyllenhaal (Prisoners, Donnie Darko), Gemma Arterton (Hansel and Gretel: Witchhunters), Ben Kingsley (Schindler’s List), Alfred Molina (Angie Tribeca), Richard Coyle (Coupling).